Women were taught to wear bras especially in public places in order to protect and cover their chest. We were meant to believe that these chest supports have a lot of benefits including reducing back pain and preventing sagging at an early age.
However, sport science researcher Jean-Denis Rouillon, a professor based at the University of Franche-Comte in the eastern town of Besançon, conducted a 15-year study on the effect of bras on 330 women aged 18 to 35 and found no evidence as to the benefits of wearing bras. In fact, breasts become saggier by wearing bras over time.
The researchers even believed that not wearing any bra would in fact have better effects on a woman’s chest.
Read the other dangers a bra can cause below:
1. Poor blood circulation- because bras usually have underwires, blood circulation in the chest area is usually disrupted.
2. Irritation- wearing a tight bra can cause irritation on the skin around your chest. In fact, some studies suggest that leaving your bras on for too long, particularly when you sleep, can sometimes even cause cysts to form.
3. Restlessness- let’s face it, bras are uncomfortable to wear. The tight fit of most bras can cause restlessness among women.
4. Hyperpigmentation- The straps and hooks can cause irritation on the skin which may result to hyperpigmentation.
5. Breast fungus- sweat and dirt can get trapped inside the padding of the bra which can cause breast fungus. Experts suggest women to wash their bras every two days.
Can you think of other disadvantages a bra has? Do you prefer wearing bras or going braless? Let us know what you think in the comments section!